Oporto Conservatory of Music - Conservatório de Música do Porto
The Oporto Conservatory of Music (CMP) is a public reference school of Specialized Artistic Education of Music.
Created by the City Council of Porto on June 1, 1917, it was initially installed in Travessa do Carregal. On March 13, 1975, he transferred to the Pinto Leite mansion located on the Maternity Street, owned by the City Council.
As of September 15, 2008, integrated in the Program for the Requalification and Modernization of Schools carried out by the Ministry of Education, through the "Parque Escolar" EP, this institution started to occupy the west wing of the building of the former liceu D. Manuel II in Praça Pedro Nunes, which also hosts Rodrigues de Freitas Secondary School. Its facilities also include a building built from scratch where the auditoriums, orchestra room, library, rooms of the 1st cycle and other equipment of support to this type of education are inserted.
The quality of acoustic treatment of specific music rooms and auditoriums deserves special mention in this project. The Auditorium of the CMP with a recording studio is already a reference for its excellent acoustic conditions that allow to record with all the quality, from solo instruments to great symphonic formations, thus assuming as an added value for this school, for the city and For the region.
The CMP activity goes far beyond the current idea of teaching, and has assumed a culturally relevant role over time. In its history are registered professors of the highest pedagogical and artistic qualification, as well as students who were and are important figures of Portuguese music. It should be noted that the Porto Symphony Orchestra itself originated in the Symphony Orchestra of the Oporto Music Conservatory. As far as its heritage is concerned, the Oporto Conservatory has been, throughout its existence, the faithful custodian of musical and documentary bibliographical features, works of art, instruments or personal or institutional objects of various origins and interest Museological.
This set of heritage funds represents an important documentary contribution on figures of the culture and musical life of the city of Porto with a historical and didactic value. It is worth mentioning the estate of the cellist Guilhermina Suggia, the musical estate of the composer and violinist Nicolau Medina Ribas, documentation on Moreira de Sá, Cláudio Carneyro, Óscar da Silva, Berta Alves de Sousa and also the Italian tenor Roncalli who lived in the city of Porto. Of the bibliographical donations refer those of Margarida Brochado, Prof. José Delerue, Father Ângelo Pinto and Fernando Correia de Oliveira.
The Oporto Conservatory of Music was awarded in 1992 with the Gold Award of Cultural Merit of the City of Porto. It is currently frequented by about 1070 students from a broad geographic area throughout the North. Its faculty is made up of more than 170 teachers, and the non-teaching staff consists of 9 technical assistants and 14 operational assistants. It also counts on the collaboration of 8 operational assistants through partial contracts.
In addition to its internal students, the Conservatory receives annually dozens of self-proposed students, who carry out their examinations here, and are also in charge of the administrative process and certification of the students of some private and cooperative schools of music that do not have autonomy Pedagogical Admission to the CMP is done through admission / verification tests, by age and educational levels, regardless of the area of residence of their students.